Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Claire's Top Ten Things New Couponer's Should Know

  • Start Small-   Don't go crazy right away and try to run to every store in town to get free toothpaste. I know it is tempting, but we are blessed to live in the land of plenty and believe me, there will be PLENTY more great deals. It can be overwhelming for new couponers to be exposed to so much info, so start with your regular grocery store and watch the receipts from one week to next. You will be stunned!




  • Educate Yourself-  Knowledge is definitely power or confidence in this case. You need to understand how coupons work, store policies, reward programs, rebates, etc. There is a ton of info out there on this, try Southernsavers, GroceryShopForFree and Hip2Save to start with (these are some of my favs).

    Budget-  Have an idea of what you want to spend before you go to the store. I know this sounds basic, but when you are getting great deals, they do add up and all the sudden, you have a basket full of cereal and pasta and don't have money left for produce and meat. So pace yourself, it will take a couple of months, but before you know it, you will be so stocked up that suddenly, milk, bread, meat and produce will be the only things you need.

    Organize, Organize, Organize- I think a lot of people don't use coupons because of organization. They get to the store, see a deal and start rooting around in their purse for a coupon, don't find it, and say forget it. If you have a small child with you screaming his head off and throwing things out of your basket, this is doubly difficult. So, to start, match up your list with your coupons and clip the ones you know you want to use together. If there is other stuff on sale that you think you might have one for, make a note of it, but unless it's convenient and accessible, maybe let it go and come back another time.

    Get your Tools Together-  That being said, above, I have a binder. A 2 inch pink Avery binder that is full of baseball card holders and sectioned with tabs to the extreme. I carry it when I go to any of my main stores, and if I see something awesome, I can easily flip through(more about this here from Colin at Hip2save-she is awesome!) Also, bring your reusable bags with you. Most stores give you $.10 per bag so that can add up. Make sure you always have your store card-that would be a tragedy to miss in-store sales plus fuel points or perks.

    Understand the Breakdown-     See my post about Pulling the Paper Towel Over my Eyes-I explain about the items per package concept and how marketing can be tricky.

    Target your Big Ticket Items First- For my family, diapers, paper towels, toilet paper, soft drinks, beer, wine, meat and produce are the big expenses. It may be different for you (body and face products come to mind). Whatever they are, as a new couponer, look at last week's receipt (BTW-a financial advisor told me to keep credit/debit card receipts for 6 months), and see what the biggies were(maybe they were multiples). These should be the focus of your coupons first-where to get the best deal on diapers, etc.

    Don't Buy It Just Because It's a Great Deal- I know, I know, isn't this our goal? To get a great deal? Of course, but if neither you nor your spouse will ever use a disposable razor, don't get it just because it is $1. Unless you know of an immediate use(maybe donate to disaster relief) for an item you wouldn't personally use, don't fill your closet with it. On the flip side, I have tried some great products for free or next to it, that I didn't think I would normally use and have been so surprised-This is the goal of the manufacturer.

    Look at it like a Game- Don't Get Stressed about coupons!! Like anything that you get obsessed with, it can be addictive. Remember, the world won't stop turning because you didn't get an extra $.40 off fruit rollups. It's great to save money, but if the stress from couponing overshadows your day, take a break and pick it up next week.

    I'm Not a Crook-  There is a stigma attached to couponers that they are trying to get something for nothing and take advantage of the stores. Give me a break. Stores issue coupons to bring in customers. It is voluntary. As long as you stay within the perimeters of the coupon and the store's coupon policy, you are bringing them business. Plus, how many times have you left a store and realized they overcharged you for the things they already had marked up 100%?

      No comments:

      Post a Comment